Thursday, May 21, 2009

Terminate this.

Hey, the big Terminator movie opens today! Who's going?!
...
Yeah, that's what I thought.

Coming from someone who's seen all three previous Terminator pics, and for the most part enjoyed them, I just gotta say this -

Sometimes it's best to let a story END.

Not from a movie company's point of view, of course. The "pre-sold" audience is often good enough to make back whatever it cost in a week or two. The source doesn't even have to be that good in the first place - Beverly Hillbillies and Dukes of Hazard were fine TV shows, but did we really need a film version?

Now, I'm sure this movie has all the kick-ass metal robots you could want, fighting to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons. But how many times do we have to see An Indestructible Man-Robot shrug off anti-tank weapons?

Then again, take Star Trek. Possibly a better film than the TV series, certainly more action-oriented... should they have not made Trek #13 or whatever it was?

After all, we're still reading comics starring hcaracters from the 1940's, you realize that? Even Marvel's main characters are pushing forty, at least.

I don't know... should they have re-made Batman - again? Or Sherlock Holmes - again? Or John Dillinger - again? Or -

Well, you get the idea.

Sigh, I suppose I'll be going to see the Terminator. Sometime.

Just not on opening weekend.

After all, I still have my pride. :)

No comments: